Relationship Requirements for Partner Visas


One of the main requirements for a Partner Visa is to prove the existence of an ongoing committed genuine relationship to the exclusion of all others between you and your partner.


If you are in a de facto relationship, you must demonstrate that you have been in the relationship for at least 12 months.


History of your relationship.


This may include:


  • How, when and where you first met;
  • How your relationship developed and when you began a de facto relationship;
  • Any periods of separation; and
  • Future plans.


Evidence of shared household: 


This may include:


  • Statement about the way housework is distributed;
  • Joint ownership or joint rental of the house in which you live;
  • Joint utilities accounts (electricity, gas, telephone);
  • Joint responsibility for bills for day-to-day living expenses; and
  • Correspondence addressed to both of you at the same address.


Evidence of any joint financial arrangements


This can include:


  • Mortgage or lease documents showing joint ownership or rental of property;
  • Loan documents of major assets in both names;
  • Joint bank accounts; and
  • Household bills in both names.


Evidence that your relationship is socially recognised by your friends and family. 


This may include:

  • Joint invitations, going out together, friends and acquaintances in common;
  • Proof that you and your partner have declared your relationship to government bodies, commercial or public institutions;
  • Photographs of you together with description of people, location and dates;.
  • Proof of joint sporting, cultural or social activities; and
  • Proof of joint travel.


Evidence that you are committed to each other and your long term relationship


This may include:

  • Letters and phone bills to demonstrate you have been in contact regularly when apart; and
  • Estate planning documents (eg, Will, Advanced Care Directive and Enduring Power of Attorney). We can assist you with this. Please refer to our article ‘Why is estate planning important to migration’ for further information.


If you would like to know more about partner visas, please contact one of our friendly staff at Bambrick Legal:

  • Call us on 08 8362 5269
  • Email
  • Fill in our enquiry form here
  • Visit our office at 133-135 Rundle Street, Kent Town SA 5067