Your rights and obligations as an overseas worker
Are you interested in working in Australia? Many overseas workers are not aware of their rights and obligations when working in Australia. Australian workplace laws provide basic protection and entitlements for all workers in Australia including workers from overseas.
The Department of Immigration and Border Protection have compiled a fact sheet with some facts about your rights and obligations as an overseas worker. This document is available in many languages including but not limited to Tagalog, Chinese, Indonesian and Hindi. To access this fact sheet please visit http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Work/Work/Your-rights-and-obligations-Immigration-facts-for-workers.
Some facts that you should be aware of as an overseas worker include:
- If you are working in Australia, you must have a valid visa with work rights included;
- Employers do have a right and are responsible for checking all workers’ rights to work in Australia. They may ask to see your passport or other identification to verify this information; and
- Only the Department of Immigration and Border Protection can grant, refuse or cancel visas.
For more information about your rights and obligations as an overseas worker, please contact one of our friendly staff at Bambrick Legal today:
- Call us on 08 8362 5269
- Email [email protected]
- Fill in our enquiry form here
- Visit our office at Suite 12, 15 Fullarton Road, Kent Town SA 5067
CONTACT US NOW FOR YOUR FREE NO OBLIGATION 30 MINUTE CONSULTATION!