Health Requirements and your Visa


Visa applicants must meet minimum health standards before the Australian government will grant a visa.  Australia has a duty to protect it citizens from the introduction of dangerous or infectious diseases from visitors or migrants to our country.

When applying for a visa, you are expected to answer truthfully questions about your health and provide details of diseases or health conditions that you or any members of your family have.

If you are visiting Australia temporarily for a short period of time, you may not be required to undertake health examinations depending on your nationality. However, if you are intending to study or work in Australia, you may be required to undertake medical tests that include a chest x-ray, a general physical examination and a HIV blood test.  If you have applied for a permanent residency visa or a visa that leads to permanent residency, you are required to complete your health examinations.


What if you or your family member has a health issue?


If you or your family member have declared or are found to have active tuberculosis or other infectious disease that are considered to be dangerous to the Australian community, you and/or your family member will not be able to enter Australia. There is no exemption to this.

As for other diseases, the Medical Officer of the Commonwealth must provide an opinion as to whether the disease or condition will result in significant healthcare and community service costs and/or will place a demand on healthcare or community services in short supply in Australia.


Applying for health examinations


You can apply for your health examination before you apply for a visa through My Health Declarations via the Migration Department portal. My Health Declarations is a free service however you must pay for your health examinations.

If you have already lodged your visa prior to a health examination, you must wait until your case officer requests you to have an examination and provides you with your unique health assessment identifier (HAP ID).

A health examination is valid for 12 months.


What happens if you fail the examination?


If you and/or a member of your family unit is found to fail the examination following an assessment from the Medical Officer of the Commonwealth, your visa will be refused.  If you pass the health examination but a member of your family unit does not, you or any person in your family unit will not be able to obtain a visa unless the particular visa allows for a ‘health waiver’.

Would like to know more? Contact one of our friendly staff at Bambrick Legal:

  • Call us on 08 8362 5269
  • Email
  • Fill in our enquiry form here
  • Visit our office at 133-135 Rundle Street, Kent Town SA 5067